September 9, 2017 | 13:00 - 15:00 hrs in Room MET-16
Integrated approaches for multifunctional landscapes: connecting LDN, biodiversity and climate change
UNCCD COP13, Ordos International Convention and Exhibition Center, Inner Mongolia, China
Holistic, cross-sectoral actions are needed to promote multifunctional land use and to ensure that the competing needs of society are effectively addressed with the finite land resources available. This presents a unique challenge for both land policies and land information: two critical factors for sustainable land use planning and management according to the LDN Conceptual Framework published by the UNCCD Science Policy Interface. The event will generate recommendations for improved monitoring across multiple goals and commitments, including UNCCD, UNFCCC and UNCBD. Side event part of UNCCD COP13 Ordos, China, 6-16 September 2017.
Participants will discuss:
- Synergies between global environmental goals and actions;
- Opportunities to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of responses;
- The role of public policy in achieving multifunctional land use and the role of UNCCD in supporting wider adoption of such policy instruments.
Key speakers at the event will include:
- Monique Barbut – Executive Secretary of the UNCCD
- Annette Cowie – Global Environment Facility
- Graciela Metternicht – IUCN
- Jonathan Davies – IUCN
- Ermias Betemariam – World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF)
- Representatives from China, Sierra Leone and Mexico